Friday, May 1, 2015

Improving My Attitude

Usually by this time in the school year, I find myself in an ever-increasing pessimistic mood. I'm counting down until the last day of school, complaining about my job, and grumbling about the workload. I just want summer to hurry up and get here so I can sleep in, enjoy the beautiful weather, and spend more time with my family.

A few days ago, I recognized this negative behavior rearing its ugly head again, and I determined that I needed to make a change. I decided to surround myself with positivity and make the following changes.

  • Work out more. Exercise is proven to decrease stress and improves mental health, and it is definitely something I can increase. 
  • Eat healthy. Although I'm not a horrible eater, I notice that I tend to consume more unhealthy foods when I am stressed. I should eat a well-balanced diet of complex carbohydrates, fruits, vegetables, and lean protein to help improve my mood (and maybe a little chocolate wouldn't hurt).
  • Surround myself with inspiration. I started following Jon Gordon on Twitter; he regularly tweets out inspirational quotes, stories, and videos. His tweets are motivating to me.
  • Take time to reflect. At the end of each day, I will reflect on what went well and what did not go well. Then, I will decide what I need to do to make tomorrow a better day.
  • Converse in a positive manner. I noticed that when I vent I temporarily feel better, but then my negative mood returns with a vengeance. Conversely, when I speak with positivity, that energy carries me through the rest of the day. 
After May 1st, I only have twenty-two days left of school. Rather than grumble and complain, I plan to enjoy my dwindling time and improve my attitude. I encourage everyone to join me, and please comment below if you have other ideas to improve one's mood.

No comments:

Post a Comment